Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Keeping Characters Real





The Characters in a Novel, Short Story or even a Journal piece should be potrayed as normal, regular people. Giving the character life, i.e., having them show emotions, whether it's a positive, negative, sad, or showing excitement, helps the reader connect with the characters. I feel that it is important to see the characters as people. To see them in three dementional instead of one dementional.
When I verbalize my characters, I show emotion through their dialogue, action amd very descriptive emotions. My characters are not perfect and, of course, I don't want them to be. I use real, everyday venacular lanquage, no fancy words, and I also feel that "colorful lanquage" keeps it real when you are potraying anger in your characters because that is usually what happens in real life. I'm not saying to go overboard with colorful words, just keep them in the realms of reality; making the character reasonable, but real. Now, when showing raw feelings, then show that raw feeling through means that are true to life. I feel that it is important to show those raw feelings through very vividly descibed actions, descriptive words and describing the inner feelings that the character is experiencing at the very moment you are writing about.

Please don't forget to participate in the prize giveaway! I am givng away a $50.00 Visa Gift Card and a signed copy of my book, The Forest Portal to the first person who can guess what the plot will be in the sequel to The Forest Portal! You can leave your guess in a comment, ( Please leave your contact email in the comment in case you are the winner so that I may contact you), or you can send me your guess via my contact email.
If you would like to purchase The Forest Portal, you can do so at the following website:
http://www.publishamerica.net/product87237.html

Signed books can be purchased through me for a discount as long as I have them on hand. You can contact me via my contact email below:
melody.dempsey@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment